Our Carbon Neutral Journey so far…
From the start…
Since starting our shredding business in 2007, we have always been environmentally aware and keen to pursue our sustainability agenda. In 2019 we decided to calculate the company’s carbon footprint and to systematically monitor CO2 reduction efforts.
Following this analysis it was determined that M1 Document Solutions had a carbon footprint of 119 tonnes of CO2 emissions per annum. The biggest contributor to this carbon footprint was related to the diesel used in our lorries and vans.
Some of our initiatives in reducing our Carbon footprint…
The following are our current initiative to reduce our carbon footprint:
- We are upgrading our shredding fleet to more fuel-efficient lorrys and vans.
- Eco Drive training for our drivers
- Changing some shredding collections from lorry to lower emissions van.
- Optimise lorry runs to reduce fuel usage.
- Maximum reduction of material to landfill
- Maximise rates of recycling
- Electricity conservation measures
- Start composting our canteen waste.
Working with our partners Self-help Africa and Trees for the Future, we supported the extensive planting of trees, to off-set the rest of our emissions that we could not reduce.
Across Africa, Self Help Africa and Trees for the Future work with communities, local partners and others to improve the productivity and profitability of small farms. Trees are an important part of the mix of activity on small farms.
And its not just about planting trees….
It about planting the right trees, in the right place, with local farmers.